Looking back is easy. Remembering what moved you and writing about it challenges me. Stand back; here it comes.
Things I learned this year:
- I know now that I love my children for different reasons. Eleanor challenges me, is beautiful and is (unintentionally) funny. Saralyn is cuddly and daffy. When each makes a sincere smile at me, I melt. When they spend the entire day prattling, crying, mumbling and otherwise making CONSTANT noise, I want to put my own head in a bag.
- I love my husband more this year than last year.*
- Unlimited cell minutes to your husband and parents is a GOOD thing.
- I love my job. What I do now may not get me through retirement in a well appointed villa somewhere, but I love what I do right now.
- Broadcasting doesn’t miss me. I went looking on the GPB website for some stuff I had done that was archived there. It’s long gone. Luckily, I don’t miss it. Just a few friends.
- I love season passes to museums.
- I love gardening but hate grass, the ground and most dirt.
- I live to eat.
- I live to blog.
- I live to laugh.
- I believe that people who murder their friends / family members / spouses / girlfriends, then go on a rampage shooting and burning things and then go off and kill themselves – REALLY – need to start at the other end of the list. Note to people who kill others and think they will get away with it: You won’t. If you need to kill, look no further than the man in the mirror, Okay?**
- Happy Holidays is a perfectly acceptable greeting in late November and all of December. When did people go off the deep end and take it as a personal slight to their religious beliefs, leaders and God? Be polite. A greeting is a greeting. Don’t loose your cool.
- I’m generally OK with people throwing their shoes at W. It sure beats strapping a bomb to your own body when you want to make a political statement.
- I no longer know any of the musicians in EW’s 10 best musical acts of the year. THAT made me feel old.
- I loved the Chinese Olympic hoopla.
- I hate reality game shows. They all have an odor of poke the freak. I don’t want to watch you lose weight, survive, date while your mother meddles, pick cases for models to open or design evening wear and dinner.
- I tolerate cold better than heat.
- I feel like I’m missing something. Surely on this list, but more of a general feeling. I hope to figure out what it is in the new year.
So, what truths have you found this year?
*I find this to be true every year.
**I find this to be true every year. It just bothered me more this year. When I was pregnant with Elly – a pregnant woman was kidnapped, murdered and the baby cut from her. I took it personally. And then there seemed to be a string of pregnant murder victims. I am taking Casey Anthony’s murder personally, too, as she just a few weeks different in age from Eleanor. I can see how children can push you over the edge, and some people are closer to the abyss than most. I just don’t see how you can really do it. The people who have scare me to the bone.