Sigh – it’s the ghost of the Little Cabin in the Woods coming back one more time to hit me with a toaster.
If you recall – last week the seller’s agent said the house was “unsaleable”.
NOW the agent contacts our rep and says the first bank holding the property has agreed to our offer ONLY if we can close by the end of the month (and if the second mortgage holder agrees to their piddly share.) And are we still interested?
Here are the foreseeable problems:
- The house next door flooded during the giant rainstorms of a few weeks ago. We’d like to take a look at it, but when we went with our realtor, the lockbox was gone – as was the sign saying it was for sale. Since the seller’s agent is no longer ACTUALLY representing the property, I’m not sure if the place is trashed or not. I asked to see the house TODAY, but no action. Not much confidence.
- The way mortgages are so backed up, it’s likely to take 8-12 weeks to get cleared for a loan these days, even when you have extraordinary credit.
- and then there is that pesky second bank that could hold everything up or perhaps negate the whole thing. Why should I pay $400 to have the house inspected (again – see the key issue), when the odds are that the whole thing would grind to a halt and come to nothing.
Uh, sure. We’re still interested, but why hold our breath? If there were another house even close to that location at a reasonable price, I would tell them to go perform an aeronautical anatomical impossibility in a mobile perforated pastry*. However, location, Location, LOCATION. Everything else is negotiable.
Somehow I keep thinking of that joke about the guy in the flood and he’s on the roof claiming that the Lord will save him and he turns away the guy in the canoe and the rowboat and the helicopter and he drowns. He get’s to heaven and says, “Hey God! Why didn’t you save me?” God says, “I sent two boats and a chopper. What more did you want?” Has God sent me my own series of watercraft here? Am I just not picking up what He’s laying down? Or do I just need to be patient and persevere? Hope for the best or run for the hills?